Friday, January 13, 2012

“And we all were, for a moment, Southern by the grace of God.”




“Hey ya’ll welcome to Chili’s, my name is Lolo and I’m gonna be takin’ care of ya today.”


That’s right!!!! I’m officially a ChiliHead!




I am so grateful to have been able to get a job... There have been so many tender mercies from the Lord since I've been here, and I thank Him every time I see one.… Obviously it’s a serving job and I’ve served before, but never in a place like this! I’ve been doing my first week of training at Chili’s and it’s quite overwhelming. There’s so much to remember ‘cause the menu is huge!! And I’m use to serving in upscale restaurants, and Chili’s is definitely NOT like that! Haha They literally train you to kneel down at tables, sit town at the tables, pretty much make they feel at home. It’s nice ‘cause I’m able to show my personality, but I haven’t gotten to that point yet where I’m comfortable with doing that because of places I use to serve at. I’m still not a huge fan of their food but they do have some good choices! And each day we’ve been training, they let us try some of the food…. Here’s a sample:




No I didn’t eat that by myself, but I probably could have. And let me remind you that this is my 4th day of training, which means that there are 3 other days of meals that are just like this that I've been eating........





I really need to join a freaking gym ‘cause I will get fat because of this place!! I’ve been running outside, but the weather is getting WAYYYY too cold for my little Arizona self can deal with!! But I’m resourceful, so I’ll figure it out... But back to my heifer self and work. It’s been good so far.. Anyone who has worked in a restaurant knows the atmosphere that is there, not always the best language and conversations. Today I was trained by a girl name Faith. She’s 24 and she has a 4 year and a 10 month old, two different fathers. And then I worked with another girl, almost 30, divorced with 2 kids, who moved here from Texas because her ex moved here after the divorce. So needless to say, the morning shift has mothers. No matter their circumstances, they all are mothers, which means, for the most part, they are mature, understand the meaning of hard work and being able to provide for their families. They know how to work together in order for everyone to succeed. I really like working with them.
So these Southerners are something different. They are constantly calling you babe, sweetie, hunny, miss (insert name here), mam, sir, fixin’,bless yer heart, and so on. They also have weird tastes like fried bolongia, ranch with their chips, and I’ll keep you updated on the food. One thing that is so true is that Southern hospitality with those accents. It doesn’t matter who they’re talking about, what they’re saying, you can’t help but think they are just the “sweetest people.” (in that accent you all know and love) I swear on my life that they can literally get away with ANYTHING because of that accent!!! It’s insane!! But they do say “gurl” a lot and ya’ll know how much I love that word!! Who knows, maybe I will have a lil’ accent when I return home :) ha ha probably not… but I do have a friend Tamie, who lived in Arizona for the last 5 years, then moved here in June and has an accent.



Speaking of Tamie, that’s me and her! ----->>>




She’s awesome! 31 and lives in Murfreesboro. I met her through my roommate and I’m so glad I did! We have a lot of fun together, and she loves when I sing, “Red Solo Cup.” She says it just warms her heart! We very much enjoy just going out and not worrying about anything but being ourselves and enjoying our life! We have a lot of great conversations and she’s someone that I am truly grateful for here in Tennessee. And she’s also down for going to concerts w/ me!!!! She spent $200 to go see the best cellist in the world!! So she’s my kinda girl! :)



And speaking of concerts, I just bought myself a ticket to go see 2 of my FAVORITE artists who are touring together, ERIC CHURCH AND BRANTLEY GILBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







don't judge, just love :)




You better believe I’m excited, but it was short lived because I then watched the last episode of “Extreme Home Make Over” and they went to Joplin, Missouri and I felt so selfish for spending money and being ungrateful and wanting to much, that I didn’t need, when people that needed so much, wanted so little…. That’s for another day, but I realized that sometimes you have to forget about the troubles of the world and of your life, and just live. Do something for others, but don’t ever forget to do something for yourself :)




Love y’all



Lil’ Miss Lolo <3



(livin' life and lovin' it!! from the South)

No comments:

Post a Comment